About Me

My photo
I am founder and Managing Director of Mind Associates. I ama mischievous and ambitious character. I have been training professional people in the areas of Leadership, Communication, Attitude & Behaviour and Culture Change. I believe that we are capable of greatness if we can take control of our thinking.
Tuesday 13 October 2009

Power Factor

“The Name’s Bond.....James Bond”, everyone is familiar with this infamous introduction by Sir Sean Connery. Following a letter I received in the post recently I may be forced to adopt Mr Connery’s tactics! Miss Keira Knightly, (English actress, Pirates of the Caribbean, Love actually)for the record, well she is not me! However according to a company in Newry they think she is me, I got a marketing letter addressed to:-Ms Keira Keightly at my office address. The address, the postcode, all correct but not my name! At public speaking events I have always been slightly irritated if I am introduced as Mary knightly instead of Mary Keightley (pronounced Keetley). In attempting to explain the faux pa by the company in question who do know me and have my name on their database, (and no doubt will remove if they read this!) I can only suggest that it clearly demonstrates the social phenomenon of the power of celebrity and association on the subconscious mind. We live in an era that has an epidemic of “delusion”. We have swine flu and a new social disease called “celebrityitis”. We feast on Fantasy and wish our lives through “reality TV”. Whilst watching “What katy did next” isn’t detrimental to your health, it is important that you clearly make the distinction that reality TV isn’t “reality” I wonder about the aspirations, productivity and reality check!! Of the unfortunate employee who issued the marketing letter and whose really surname is Farrell, (any relation to Colin??) Does he want to be in Hollywood! (USA) or at his desk in Newry Co Down.

ShareThis